email to: The Chase



The Chase are possibly the design company that I regard as having the most relevance to my work. All of their pieces of work contain clever ideas and concepts and when Lise Brian came into college as a guest speaker, I particularly liked the promotional items they designed.. especially the christmas tree card. 


In this card for The Chase, the sum of the stamps conveniently amount to the cost of first class mail. It's cleverness is in the simplicity and that's when you know it's good design.

The company have adopted a philosophy which is on the first page of their website but that they also showed at the very beginning of their presentation. 

“There was once an old Indian craftsman who carved elephants from blocks of timber. When asked how he did it, he would simply reply, “I just cut away the wood that doesn’t look like an elephant.”

I think this philosophy tells anyone that they are a company all about creativity. They can see the potential in materials and have strong ideas and views; they can see things differently to other people.

The Chase work in many different ways, they design…

·      Logos & symbols

·      Branding

·      Literature

·      Promotional Items

·      Posters & Calendars

·      Exhibition & Outdoor

·      Stationary

·      Books

·      Packaging

·      Screen

I think this would make working at the company fun and exciting as you get to work in different ways for different projects. You can be more creative and adapt to different ways of designing.

Their logo designs are very clever, a favourite being the logo for Leaf Street.

The client is an environmentally friendly housing association in Northern England. A leaf becomes a row of houses, which then becomes the logo. With all their logos, they look simple but are all clever in their execution.

I particularly like the promotional items that they’ve designed. Again, their final designs look like the most obvious solutions but it takes a creative mind to think of them. A firm favourite of mine is the exercise pad design for an environmental education consultant. 



Their work instantly interested me and when we got given a list of briefs to choose from for the D&AD student awards 2009, I chose a Direct Mail brief for Crisis. It was a brief unlike any others that I've done and also one of the hardest.. but I'm very proud of the end result.


I've emailed them as I'm very keen to get a portfolio viewing but I'm still waiting for a reply. I know that I'm aiming high as they one of the best in the country, but if I had to choose a practicing design agency that I could relate to the most, The Chase would be the one. As I've mentioned in my Issues and Practices piece of text, I'm not going to give up trying to contact them, maybe email just isn't the best way of trying to get in touch with companies anymore.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home