Portfolio Viewing: Hat-trick


Whilst on a college trip to London, Guy Lawrence, our kind of guest tutor this year, passed on the details of an ex student of his called Alex Jurva who now works at Hat-Trick design. I emailed her on behalf of myself, Ryan and Dave and managed to arrange a day when we could go down to show her my portfolio. When we arrived and the doors of the lift opened, we were greeted with a large open plan room that was very white and airy with wooden floors. There were quite a few desks to one side of the room and on the other appeared to be a social area with again, a big book shelf and comfy seats and couches. We were lead into what looked like a meeting/conference room with a large table. We each took turns with showing Alex our portfolios. I had the tricky task of going first, having to explain each project as I went along. Reflecting back on it, I think I may have rushed through my work instead of allowing her time to look through at her own pace and think about what she was seeing. Her feedback however was very useful, telling me of ways in which she thought I could improve certain pieces but also showing interest and asking questions why I did what I did. She particuarly liked my paint splatter toy soldier kosovo poster. We were there for about an hour but Alex explained that the studio was very busy at the moment and that she'd soon have to go back to work which is understandanle. She did however makesure that she got to show us some of the work that they did themselves and also asked any questions that we had. Alex had only graduated the year before but had managed to get herself a job in such a well regarded graphic design company already.. and in London too! I left the portfolio viewing feeling encouraged and that maybe that it was possible it may happen for me aswell. When I got back to Manchester, I followed up the visit with an email to say thank you for her time :)





0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home